Sunday, October 13, 2013

Swim for the Sharks!!!

Sharkfest 2013 in Newport Rhode Island!

On a chilly autumn morning, open water swimmers gathered to partake in the first annual Newport Harbor Sharkfest Swim. Though the swim itself is more competition oriented, I decided to use the event as an opportunity to raise awareness and funding for shark conservation.

To do so, I teamed up with an outstanding nonprofit called Shark Savers. Although the 2013 swim is over, my webpage is still actively aiding sharks! http://sharksavers.donorpages.com/Supporter/HillaryKenyon/

"...Shark populations are severely depleted throughout the world due to overfishing, mostly to meet the demand for shark fins. Some species have seen over 90% world wide reductions. Shark Savers raises awareness of these issues through education and media campaigns..." 

Thank you to everyone who supported me! Here are some photos from the race :)


Race start. Proud to be one of the four women not racing in a wetsuit!


Not much competition in my age group haha, but I still got seventh for women overall!

Wahoo! Finishing time of 21:19!

No comments:

Post a Comment