Saturday, July 26, 2014

Go Big or Go Home?

"Go big or go home!" .... This 21st century saying has come to reiterate the proverbial 'shoot for the stars' approach to following one's dreams. Though typically uttered by athletes just before an important match, I've recently likened it to my approach to environmental awareness and conservation.

I'm almost certain that I speak for the masses (of environmental activists) when I say that we have absolutely NO intentions of 'going home!'  In this instance, home signifies defeat. It insinuates that unless one consistently puts in his or her best effort, the fight for preservation is lost. But alas! We will not give up! We won't let the pessimistic mentality of those not willing to stand up and create change in the world affect us. Yes, great damage to the ocean has already been inflicted... but to settle for the snail-like pace at which society creeps towards a more sustainable future, is akin to raising the white flag in a battle against ourselves. We need to inspire more people to further this cause. We need to serve as honorable stewards, capable of fostering new loving relationships between human individuals and the environment. We CAN, and we WILL fight for continuing scientific research, public outreach, and a changing societal mindset :)

 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

As I re-read my little rant, I am laughing out loud as I sit on the porch. *Calming down now, I promise...*

I can't imagine that any reader would be able to pinpoint the spark that fueled such an aggressive introduction to my blog post. So here it is... I love crazy people who want to save the world! Like these wonderful women :) http://sednaepic.com/



The Sedna Epic Expedition is the ultimate endeavor that "Goes where no man has gone before." The team of female scientists, explorers, safety divers, and underwater videographers will embark upon a 3,000km relay snorkel journey through the Northwest Passage to study and document the effects of climate change on remote arctic environments. The snorkel part of the expedition is scheduled for one hundred days, beginning in October 2016. The women aim to reveal new insight into the perils of melting ice caps, while projecting their findings in public light.




Go big or go home ladies! You are all an inspiration and I hope to follow in the footsteps of passionate female scientists such as yourselves! Greatly looking forward to following this expedition online...


 

No comments:

Post a Comment