Friday, January 31, 2014

Why Artificial Reefs Rock!!!

This past month I decided to take a mini vacation to the Florida Keys. A couple friends of mine were down in Key Largo studying seagrass habitats at the Marine Lab. I thought it would be a perfect opportunity for me to observe the research going on in the National Marine Sanctuary, and also to get a couple days of spectacular diving in!

With some lose plans, I had booked a flight, and the day before found myself scurrying around trying to pack last minute (like usual)... Packing for even a short dive trip is always hilarious. Checklists here, mental note there, "What can I carry on? I hope the TSA doesn't think my regulators are something dangerous again... Sheesh, my dive stuff is so heavy... Wait! I didn't pack any clothes yet!... I don't really need clothes, right? I'll be in my wetsuit all day anyways... What should I bring to read on the plane? DIVING BOOKS! Duh... Ok, I'm ready!"

The night before my flight, I dreamed about the marvels that awaited me on the famous shipwrecks of the Florida Keys. With brilliant blue water shimmering above my sleepy head, the ocean swells calmly drifted me through the night.
_______________

Every year, millions of divers from around the world flock to the Florida Keys to explore some the purpose-sunk shipwrecks that form vibrant artificial reefs. An artificial reef is a man-made underwater structure that is placed on the seafloor in hopes of attracting and supporting a thriving community of marine life. In areas where human activities have resulted in declines of natural coral reef habitats, artificial reefs serve as hard surface for corals, barnacles and algae to become established. Consequently, the newly-formed habitat helps rejuvenate local fish populations and to restore healthy ecosystems. One of the largest, and most common types of artificial reefs is a deliberately scuttled ship.

In addition to promoting new coral habitat and various fish assemblages, the Florida Keys shipwrecks have become an integral part of the eco-tourism industry. While it is time-consuming and pricey to safely sink a ship beneath the ocean waves, the net benefit brought on by the recreational scuba diving industry vastly outweighs any upfront expenses.

Here is a video from one of my dives on the USCG Duane shipwreck. This is what happens when you form artificial reefs! Enjoy :)


No comments:

Post a Comment